Friday, February 23, 2007

Aloha Hawaii!

I rushed to the airport because I worked up until the few precious seconds before I started my trip to Australia. I decided to breakup the trip and fly to Hawaii to visit friends before my journey to Aus. The flight from Dallas to LA was exhausting. I had not slept in almost 3 days so as soon as I got on the plane, I passed out. I woke up and the guy sitting next to me had wedged his sweatshirt between the two us because I had apparently fallen asleep on him. So I had been passed out and hugging his sweatshirt for about an hour. He was in the Navy and was in Fort Worth for training. Am I a friggin military man magnet? He was nice about me drooling on him as I slept. He was Filipino and asked me where the good Asian clubs were in Dallas. Sorry to say, but he was asking the wrong person. I am proud of my heritage. I am not ashamed of being Asian or Vietnamese. However, I also consider myself American as well and I pride myself in the large variety of friends that I hang out with. So seeking out a club with only Asian people in it is not something that I take interest in. I'm interested in having fun and I can do that at any place consisting of any race of people.

Of course my flight to Hawaii was delayed several hours. I sat next to one of the owners of Wahoo Fish Market. He was certainly the most interesting guy I ever met on an airplane. He had long hair and a long interesting beard. He regaled me with stories and showed me pictures of famous people he had met. He also gave me a contact in Australia for the later leg of my journey. When we arrived at the airport it was 2am and my friends both had to get up at 5am. So, my newfound airplane friend gave me a ride to the hotel.

It seems I have a natural talent for meeting random people on vacation. Perhaps it’s because I am cute and friendly. I personally think it’s because I am in constant need of human interaction that I force myself to talk and befriend complete strangers. So far it’s worked out well for me. This talent never works in Dallas, but it’s a great gift when traveling alone.

No comments: